Wednesday, April 9, 2014

CrossFit

Last year around this time, I was feeling particularly lazy and needed a boost to my fitness (or lack of fitness) routine. It's not that I sit around all day on the couch-most days- I'm a pretty active person. I play roller derby for my house (Rebels) and All-Star teams, so that is 3 days a week for 3 hours at a time. Do more, you say? That's a pretty good workout!

Well, it was that a good portion of that team (Rebels, whom I spend most of my time with) were training for triathlons, losing weight and hitting the gym hardcore, or just being awesome and cross training. Their competitive drive was the reason I wanted to play for the Rebels. It was making my 8-9 hours on skates seem measly.  At the time, I was looking into CrossFit and just couldn't wrap my head around paying 150 bucks to the place in town with limited hours. I was going to school part-time and skating, that took up a good majority of my day. The other portion of my day was spent with my infant daughter.

So, I did what any sensible person would do, I joined the gym. It looked great from the start. It had a daycare so that I could work out. That wasn't met without its hardships though. Felicity hated the daycare. Hated is an understatement really. They would call me after 20 minutes of her screaming and being inconsolable. So much for that workout. I kept on as I could, but after the discount rates expired, it felt like such a waste for as little as I was going. Isn't that typical of gym memberships. Had I known there was actually do a month-to-month membership...

Fast forward a few months to football season. I started seeing CrossFit North Pole sweatshirts at the football practices and games. I, of course, was too hesitant to inquire about it at the time, but I kept it in the back of my mind because I still had that gym membership. A few months later a fellow skater joins and I told myself when my membership runs out, I'm going to give it a go.

On April 1(haha) I made the commitment to go to my first session being on Thursday, April 3. No joke! I attended the 7pm newbie class. It was a blast! I was able to do 4 sets of 10 reps of the newbie workout and had a decent time since I was sore from the day before.

Sidenote: Since said skater friend started CF, she has been torturing us with CF style workouts on Saturday morning and Wednesday evening off-skates workouts. There was a point I was laid up on the couch for what seememed like days because of her evil-doings.

A few other girls at the newbie session were quite impressed as they were panting like crazy (see reason above). I had been pre-conditioned, and it felt great going into something that I had been practicing for a while now. It made for a good feeling when I left, and it's the reason I'll continue go back. To the 5am sessions. I know, it's early, but I can get a good workout in before the husband leaves for work.

Day 1-Intro Session, Thursday April 3.

The hardest part? Doing the same thing the day before at derby!
Today, makes day 3! The workouts were as follows:

Monday, April 7, 5am class. 
50, 40, 30, 20, 10
OH LUNGE (45)
DOUBLE-UNDERS
 I did a L1 revision since I'm still new. It was 30, 20, 10 OH Lunges with tuck jumps in the same intervals. My time was 10:30 I believe, and used a 15 pound plate. 

Good thing class only went until 12 today,  I went home and crafted then took a nap!

Wed, April 9, 5am:  I'll update once it's posted on the site. 
6, 9, 12, 15, 18
Snatch Grip OH Strict Press (95, 65)
V sits
Box jumps (24, 30)

My time was super fast (7:30) since I was doing the L1 workout with a 15 pound bar and no additional weights. L1 also only did the 12, 15, 18 reps for all three, and a 24" box jump.  It was a challenging workout, but I wanted to go light since I wanted to do the workout properly. Next time I'll add some weight. But, there is still an hour of off-skates and 2 hours on skates tonight. I'll be tired regardless :) Since I had some time to kill, I did the powerhouse workout of back extensions and swims, 12 reps and I did them 2 times. (I think the swims had a different name, but it has escaped me.)

 Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Your kind words are appreciated!