|Moose on base!!|
Just a quick update, we've arrived in Alaska and are LOVING it!!! We are not loving the tiny billeting room we (Carl, Evan, Rocky, and I) are staying in. You don't need a whole lot of room when you don't have a lot of things. I can't wait to have my kitchen back and my stamps back!! (everything else hasn't been missed too bad) The most of my gripes are lack of proper kitchen utensils, but my thinking is if that's all I'm griping about, it can't be that bad.
Here are a few things I've learned by living in AK so far...
1. Roads are bumpy. Only main roads are paved, neighborhood roads are gravel. I'm told you don't notice the bumps come winter time because of the snow. We'll see.
2. Cost of living is quite a bit more expensive. I saw cereal for over 5 dollars and don't ask about milk. But, we are a long way from the lower 48, so it costs to ship up here.
3. Gas is expensive! Don't complain to me about gas prices, ours is over 4 bucks a gallon, 4.17 in some parts.
4. Alaska is breathtaking. So far we've counted 6 moose and was in awe the entire trip to Anchorage from Fairbanks. (Only took 1 tank of gas in our huge F350 we got though!)
5. The people are awesome! We've encountered so many nice people. Local business owners are quite chatty!
That's all that sticks out in my mind so far. We've only been here a few weeks and don't ever want to leave. We just had our offer accepted on the house we are purchasing so in a few mere weeks, we will no longer be homeless. I'll report on those -40+ temperatures from in front of my blaze king wood stove with some hot chocolate here soon!
Until next time, be scrap-tastic for me in my absence! The new catty is awesome and can't wait to roll up my sleeves and get to work. (Although it wont be too current, home-buying is expensive!!!)